AASHTOWareTM Bridge Rating software is available to local agencies and their consultants free of charge (courtesy of MDOT) for use on Michigan bridges. An AASHTOWare Bridge Rating license is valid from July 1st through June 30th of the following year; you will be required to renew your license each year prior to July 1st.
Michigan Agencies and Consultants: The Center for Technology & Training (CTT) provides all technical support for AASHTOWare Bridge Rating software. Please do not contact AASHTO (the distributor) and Michael Baker International (the software developer) regarding technical issues; contact the CTT for support on technical issues.
NOTE: Select each step below for detailed instructions.
Steps to Obtain or Renew AASHTOWare Bridge Rating
(Please note that this process may take several weeks.)
1. Register as an MDOT-sponsored user.
- E-mail loadrating (at) mtu.edu with the following information:
- Agency/consultant name
- Primary user(s)
- Number of licenses (maximum of two licenses per organization)
- Letter stating agreement to only use AASHTOWare Bridge Rating software for rating state and local bridges located in Michigan (required for consultants; not required for local agencies).
? The Center for Technology & Training (CTT) will verify that you meet the qualifications of the Michigan supersite license and will notify AASHTO that you are a preapproved user.
2. Order the software from AASHTOWare.
Note: Because AASHTOWare Bridge Rating software is updated annually, licenses are active from July 1st to June 30th the following year. Therefore, you must renew your license annually on or before June 30th to ensure uninterrupted software functionality.
- Navigate to the AASHTOWare store website.
- From the left sidebar, select Register if you are a new user or Login if you are a current user.
Note: The home screen of your user account is the My Order page.
- Select the New Order option.
Note: A list of AASHTOWare products will display; each list will expand to show available versions of the software.
- Expand the AASHTOWare Bridge Design/Rating product list.
- Select Sponsored Consultant Licenses (AASHTOWare Bridge Rating) - No Fee version.
Note: The "Sponsored Consultant Licenses (AASHTOWare Bridge Design) - No Fee" is not included in the MDOT agreement; if you require AASHTOWare Bridge Design, you must purchase a license directly from AASHTO.
- Enter your payment information on the Payment Information screen; confirm your product selection and purchase details on the Order Summary and Order Review screens.
? AASHTO will verify your pre-approval for a license and will send you a supplemental license agreement.
3. Receive your software download and instructions via e-mails.
Note: You will receive e-mails from the software developer, BrDR (at) mbakerintl.com, containing software download links.
Important: The download link will expire; please download the software before the expiration.
Steps to Install and Launch AASHTOWare Bridge Rating
Note: The installation process requires a your computer to be up to date on its Windows updates.
1. Install the software.
2. Back up your database.
3. Launch AASHTOWare Bridge Load Rating program.
4. Select your data source.
Using the Migration Wizard
The Migration Wizard is a utility provided with the install files that will update an existing/previous version of the bridge rating database for use with the current version of the Bridge Load Rating software. Older databases cannot be used unless they are migrated to the new version. It is recommended that you allow the install to create a new database and then import/export old bridge definitions into that database.
1. Select the data sources that you wish to migrate.
2. Login to Data Source and confirm your migration.
3. Back up a copy of your BrDR database using Migration Wizard.
4. Migrate your data.
- Migration will begin once your backup is complete.
Important: Do not pause the migration process. This process takes a while to complete.
? The Migration Progress will show the status of the migration process; however, this window may appear to be unresponsive during the migration. The completion of this process will be indicated by the estimated time remaining becoming 00:00:00 and the task progress bar reaching 100%. Select Next > to continue.
? The Migration Summary window will then appear when migration is complete.
- Select Close in the Migration Summary window.
? Your database migration is now complete.